By Louis Dembitz Brandeis
Booklet through Brandeis, Louis Dembitz
Read or Download The Family Letters of Louis D. Brandeis PDF
Best professionals & academics books
Colonel William Winthrop singularly was once the main influential individual in constructing the army legislation of the us. A part century in the past, the splendid courtroom tendered to Winthrop the identify, _The Blackstone of army Law,_ which means easily that his impression outshone all others. He has been stated over twenty instances by means of the top court docket and good over one thousand occasions by way of different federal courts, country courts, and criminal texts.
Booklet by way of Brandeis, Louis Dembitz
In a provocative reassessment of 1 of the vital figures of early smooth technological know-how, Rose-Mary Sargent explores Robert Boyle's philosophy of test, a relevant element of his lifestyles and paintings that turned a version for mid- to past due seventeenth-century common philosophers and for those who them.
Audubon used to be no longer the daddy of yankee ornithology. That honorific belongs to Alexander Wilson, whose encyclopedic American Ornithology proven a particular procedure that emphasised the remark of stay birds. within the first full-length research to breed all of Wilson’s unpublished drawings for the nine-volume Ornithology, Edward Burtt and William Davis illustrate Wilson’s pioneering and, this day, underappreciated success because the first ornithologist to explain the birds of the North American desert.
- The Rediscovered Writings of Rose Wilder Lane, Literary Journalist
- Bertrand Russell’s Philosophy of Language
- The Day of Shelly's Death: The Poetry and Ethnography of Grief
- The Other Barack: The Bold and Reckless Life of President Obama's Father
Additional resources for The Family Letters of Louis D. Brandeis
2. Fannie Brandeis (1851–90) was LDB’s eldest sister; the year before she had married Charles Nagel (see note 8 below). 3. Albert Brandeis was LDB’s cousin, the son of his uncle Samuel. 4. Denman Waldo Ross (1853–1935) was an expert on the fine arts, an occasional lecturer on architecture and design at Harvard, and a renowned collector. His work on behalf of the Boston Museum made that institution’s collection one of the foremost in the country. The author of several books on a number of subjects, Ross frequently hosted discussion groups in Cambridge and was a close friend of LDB during these years and after.
Stephen Martin Leake, Law of Contracts (London, 1867). 14. Henry John Stephen was a noted English jurist whose New Commentaries on the Laws of England, 4 vols. (London, 1841–45), included a volume on contracts. 15. , 3 vols. (Boston, 1873). 5 16. Joseph Story (1779–1845), famed jurist, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, and Dane Professor of Law at the Harvard Law School, wrote many books. LDB is probably referring to Story’s Commentaries on Equity Jurisprudence, 11th ed. (Boston, 1873). 17.
Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837–1901) and Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828–82). 8. Charles Nagel (1849–1940) married Fannie Brandeis on 4 August 1876. Nagel met Alfred Brandeis while both were students at Washington University in St. Louis. He became a prominent attorney in St. Louis and active in Republican Party affairs; in 1909 President William Howard Taft named him secretary of commerce and labor. 9 To: Date: Place: Source: Amy Brandeis Wehle December 2, 1877 Cambridge, Massachusetts Wehle MSS DEAREST AMY: Finally you are to receive thanks for your three letters, for the bracket, photograph and so forth.